Congratulations on your newly renovated bathroom! A beautifully revamped bathroom not only enhances the aesthetics of your home but also adds immeasurable value and functionality. To ensure that your investment stands the test of time, it’s essential to adopt proper care and maintenance practices. Here’s a few helpful tips to help you look after your beautiful new bathroom and keep it looking its very best for many years to come.
Regular Cleaning with Appropriate Products
It may seem obvious, but regular and proper cleaning is crucial to maintain the cleanliness and hygiene of your newly renovated bathroom. Adopt a cleaning routine and follow these guidelines:
- Use the right cleaning products for each surface, such as ceramic tiles, glass, stainless steel, and fixtures. Many people use a multi-purpose product to clean everything, however this won’t give the best results and it may cause damage to particular surfaces.
- Never use abrasive cleaners as these can damage delicate finishes.
- Squeegee shower walls and screens after every use to keep water marks and stains at bay.
- You should aim to deep clean your bathroom at least every one to two weeks, depending on how often you wipe down your shower, sweep the floor, or disinfect surfaces. With that being said, toilets, sinks, and other high-traffic areas should be cleaned at weekly.
- Pay attention to areas prone to moisture build-up, such as shower corners and grout lines, to prevent the growth of mould and mildew.
Look After Your Grout
Grout is used to seal the gaps between tiles, preventing water seepage and maintaining the integrity of the bathroom structure. But due to the nature of its composition and the frequent exposure to water, grout can deteriorate over time.
- Clean the grout weekly using a mild grout-specific cleaner and a soft brush or sponge. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Seal grout lines annually to protect them from moisture penetration and staining.
- If you notice any cracks or crumbling grout, make sure you have it repaired or replaced promptly to prevent water damage.
Ensure You have Adequate Ventilation
Bathrooms are naturally humid spaces, and this humid environment creates the ideal breeding ground for unsightly and potentially dangerous mould, mildew, and bacteria. The key is to minimise humidity, and you can do this by:
- Ensuring you have an exhaust or extraction fan fitted and run it during and after every shower to remove excess moisture from the air.
- Keep windows open whenever possible to promote airflow.
- Make it a habit to wipe down surfaces and remove any standing water after use.
Care for Your Fixtures and Fittings
Whether you choose shiny polished chrome taps, a or a modern matte black finish, the fixtures and fittings in your bathroom will require special care to retain their look and functionality.
- Make sure you clean taps, showerheads, and handles weekly with a non-abrasive cleaner or a mixture of vinegar and water to remove mineral deposits.
- Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive materials such as scrubbing brushes that can scratch or tarnish the finishes.
- Keep an eye on any water leaks or drips and address them promptly to prevent damage to fixtures and water wastage.
There’s a few other simple preventative measures you can take to further help maintain your bathroom’s condition and prevent potential issues in the future.
- Use bath mats or rugs outside the shower or bathtub to prevent water from splashing onto the floor. Whilst the wet areas in your bathroom should have an adequate waterproof membrane, it’s not mandatory for the entire floor to be waterproofed so it’s important that you limit the presence of excessive water outside of the tub and shower recess. Excessive water is also a slip hazard!
- Don’t ignore the signs of any plumbing issues, such as leaks or blockages, as this can create big issues down the track if left untreated.
- Be cautious with sharp objects or heavy items that could damage surfaces or fixtures.
If you have recently completed a bathroom renovation, it’s important that you can continue to enjoy it for many years and preserve its beauty, functionality, and value. With proper care and maintenance, your newly renovated bathroom will continue to be a stylish and inviting space in your home.
Considering Bathroom Renovations? Rockingham Homeowners Should Contact Ceramico.
Regarded as Perth’s leading tile and bathroom centre, we will help you to find tiles and bathroom accessories to suit your style and budget. We also offer a complete renovation service – our own in-house renovation team has over 100 years combined experience in tiling & renovations!
Stocking the highest quality products, with ranges to suit every budget we are here to help with any renovation or building project, and we are happy to provide professional advice to homeowners, interior designers, tradespeople, and tilers. Rockingham customers can get in touch with us online or visit us at 5/3-9 Enterprise Way Monday to Saturday.